Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Week 2- Picture Book: The Proudest Blue


This book is probably my favorite out of all the ones I have read so far. The book is from the perspective of Faizah who is starting school while her older sister Asiya is wearing a hijab for the first time. At school, people make fun of Asiya for her hijab because she is different. Faizah and Asiya remember their mother's words about the hijab meaning strength and they get through together with confidence because of the lessons that their mother taught them.

I give this book more than 5 stars, if that is possible. The lesson goes beyond those who wear a hijab, but to everyone. It shows kids that those who are different are not bad. More importantly, it shows little girls that their hijab is beautiful.

Title: The Proudest Blue
Author: Ibtihaj Muhammad
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Date: 2019
ISBN: 978-0316519007

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this book before but it looks and sounds super interesting. The thing about this book is that this happens to children and adults all the time. Basically being bullied because of what they decide to wear and who they decide to worship. The message of strength and pushing through adversity is such a great message for those little girls and boys who may get bullies for whatever reason. I completely agree with you when you say that being different is in no way bad. I really enjoyed reading your review and I am going to check out the book when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Week 3: Poem- Green Eggs and Ham

Dr. Seuss is the first author most people think of when they think of children's poems. This story is universal, which I love. It te...