Saturday, January 11, 2020

Week 3- Poem: Falling Up


I remember when this book came out and it was all the rage. It suited the angsty pre-teens that we were at the time in a way that other books did not. The poems in here were some of the first that I had ever come across that were meant for older children and not toddlers. Each page has a different poem on different topics. One I always remembered was a sign on a wood pole that said "NO" at the top with a huge list underneath. No smoking, no volleyball players, no hiking, and so on. They started off normal and got mildly ridiculous as the list went on. The wood pole was mostly chewed through by a beaver. The thought bubble next to the beaver says "hey, it didn't say no beavers".

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I personally identified with this so much in my childhood that I might be a bit biased. The poems are decent but more importantly open up a whole new genre to older kids.

Title: Falling Up
Author: Shel Silverstein
Publisher: Harper Collins
Date: 2006
ISBN: 978-0060248024

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3: Poem- Green Eggs and Ham

Dr. Seuss is the first author most people think of when they think of children's poems. This story is universal, which I love. It te...